We’ve got an exciting episode for you! Not only are we Starbuckin’ it, but we have our first-ever guest for this iteration of our ongoing pod project. It’s Matt Sams, also known as Somnistatic. Matt has undertaken an ambitious song-a-day project for the year 2014. He’s recording a new song every day and releasing it online. As of this recording, Matt is on song number 239. He’s just about 75% of the way there and he hasn’t missed one day! During the interview, we discuss Matt’s songwriting inspiration/process. We talk about marketing and “making it” as a creative person in the Internet age. We meander thru a couple fun digressions and we play a couple of Matt’s songs.
- Jen and I tried the RPM Challenge. We failed.
- Matt came into the project with some songs already written, but most of the songs have been written on the day they were recorded.
- Jen and I have done NaPodPoMo. Everyone who does that is excited at the beginning, and by day 10, they’re ready to quit.
- Want to write a song? Just pick a key and go!
- Matt’s lead-guitar secret: Jimi Hendrix mashed up with Slash.
- “German Dance Robots”
- Walking pneumonia and ear infections aren’t good for recording vocals.
- “Ashes On The Broken Threshold”
- Sampling. It ain’t songwriting, despite what Bob Lefsetz thinks.
- Matt wrote a song about the Chicago Cubs. I thought he was a White Sox fan.
- Melody Fusion article about Matt’s project.
- 1,000 true fans = bullshit. Do what you do and keep doing it.
- If you need a gimmick to get ahead, you’re in the wrong business.
- Diablo III – you only pay once. World Of Warcraft has a subscription.
- Playing games thru an emulator. It’s extra legal, not illegal.
- Internet marketing. it’s just like Kindergarten Cop.
- Write more about the dildos!
- Be awesomerish. Donate to Matt’s project.
- Jen does a mean Sarah Palin impersonation.
- Matt is a sponge. Especially when it comes to Spice Girls lyrics.
- We played Matt’s song “We Are Loved.”
- Matt needs a press kit.
- Songs in F#. Not the best for guitar solos.
- Possible future project: 365 soundbites.
- I played guitar on Matt’s song “The Wind.”
- Follow Matt here: @somnistatic, Matt’s Bandcamp account, Matt’s WordPress blog.
- Hypernonsensism: It’s a religion.
Call our voicemail line: 805-725-5085
Subscribe to Hyper Nonsense: RSS | iTunes | Spreaker | Stitcher | TuneIn | Android | Google Play Music
Let us know if your favorite podcast app/platform isn't listed above!